Thomas Lyles, MD
Board Certified, Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology
I became a doctor in order to help people with their medical issues and also to serve my community. In addition, I value face to face contact and do not use a laptop or computer when I see patients in our exam rooms.
Thomas Lyles, MD
ABOUT DR. THOMAS LYLES
I am credentialed as a Gastroenterologist at HEB hospital in Bedford, TX. Also, I have been specifically trained in upper endoscopy, colonoscopy, polyp removal and treating gastrointestinal bleeding (both upper and lower tract bleeding). In addition to colon cancer screening, I have a special interest in Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD; ulcerative colitis, Crohns) My background is as a general gastroenterologist.
In addition, I completed my GI fellowship in 2013 and have been a practicing gastroenterologist with DHAT since the July, 2013. I have worked as both a GI hospitalist and also a traditional office based practice, which gives me a unique perspective in approaching GI conditions and their evaluation. Completed both an internal medicine residency and GI fellowship at UT-Southwestern/Parkland in Dallas. I took a special interest in inflammatory bowel disease while in fellowship and spent extra time in IBD-specific clinic.
Further, I have had extensive training in colonoscopy and colon cancer screening. I am happy to see anyone that has a GI issue that is important to them. We primarily draw our patient from fellow primary care physicians (PCPs), internists, general surgeons and OB/Gyn’s. My personal interest includes reading, running, church and spending time with my family.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- Undergraduate – Auburn University (Auburn, AL)
- Medical School – University of Alabama at Birmingham (Birmingham, AL)
- Residency – Internal Medicine at UT-Southwestern (Dallas)
- Fellowship – Gastroenterology at UT-Southwestern (Dallas)
- General gastroenterology – HEB Hospital in Bedford, TX
- Internal Medicine Performance Improvement Committee – HEB Hospital
- Quality Improvement Committee – HEB Hospital
VIDEOS AND ARTICLES
- Prediction of esophageal varices and variceal hemorrhage in patients with acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding. Rockey DC, Elliott A, Lyles T. J Investig Med. 2016 Mar;64(3):745-51.
- A risk scoring system to predict in-hospital mortality in patients with cirrhosis presenting with upper gastrointestinal bleeding. Lyles T, Elliott A, Rockey DC. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2014 Sep;48(8):712-20.
- American College of Gastroenterology (ACG)
- American Gastroenterology Association (AGA)
- Texas Society for Gastroenterology and Endoscopy (TSGE)
- Texas Medical Association (TMA)
- Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital HEB
- Central Park Endoscopy Center